Why Should You Choose to Resolve Your Financial Issues Through Family Mediation?
Why is it generally better for separated spouses to make decisions about their property and finances through the process of Family Mediation Bristol?
You have reached the conclusion that your relationship has run its course and have made the decision to separate. However, you will need to come to an agreement over the financial details. There are many different problems that often need to be solved:
- What are both parties thoughts on the future of the family home?
- What about the money put away, as well as the obligations?
- Who will be responsible for the care of any animals?
- Who will be responsible for what costs going forward?
- Where do we stand with pensions?
and so forth…
In the past, divorcing partners would separate and proceed to their own solicitors, who would then be responsible for negotiating a settlement on their clients’ behalf. However this is:
- Can cause hostility
- Deprived the couple of their power to make judgments and important decisions.
The practise of Family Mediation Bristol was developed specifically to address a number of these issues.
- There is less need for time-consuming correspondence to make progress because the negotiations happen in front of both the spouses and the mediator at the same time, which leads to a quicker resolution.
- It turned out to be a considerably more cost-effective option due to the fact that it is both quicker and, for the most part, required the participation of just one specialist;
- Due to the fact that the couple is present in the same room together, misunderstandings and problems can be resolved more quickly. Additionally, because the mediator is listening to both participants, he or she is able to understand the needs, hopes, and fears of both parties, which helps to increase mutual understanding and respect, which is particularly important if the couple has children;
- Due to the fact that the couple is engaging in direct negotiation, they are the ones who, as a unit, make the decisions and maintain control over the consequences.
Therefore, it makes perfect sense for the majority of spouses to participate in Family Mediation Bristol.
When we continue with this series of blogs, we will discuss what occurs when a couple decides to settle their differences through Mediation rather than going to court to make their decisions.
What comes next?
You may find additional information on our Practical Support page if you need assistance organising your money after your divorce, and if you would want to begin the process.